Founded by D. Rafael López de Heredia y Landeta at the end of the 19th Century, R. López de Heredia is still today a winery owned by one family, and the four generations who have managed it have stayed faithful to the philosophy and fundamental principles relating to work and social ethics established by its founder.
Around 1877, and as a result of concerns arising from mid-century onwards over the arrival of French wine merchants, Don Rafael López de Heredia y Landeta decided to follow their lead. He began to make plans and construct what is now the winery.
Between the years 1913 and 1914, Don Rafael planted Viña Tondonia, as well as continuing with the construction of the winery. Nowadays, the building has 3,433 square metres of underground cellars, with galleries up to 200 metres in length, down to a depth of over 10 metres, bored right into a colossal block of sandstone, and all along the sides extend endless rows of barrels (12,900).